Archpriest Peter Heers
Lecturer in Ecclesiology (former LECTURER IN Dogmatic Theology, FORMER Assistant Professor of Holy Scripture)
For more than 18 years God’s mercy allowed me to live, study, be ordained to the priesthood and serve the Body of Christ in northern Greece. It was in the city of Ss. Demetrios and Gregory Palamas that I earned my undergraduate, masters and doctoral degrees in Dogmatic Theology, from the Theological School of the University of Thessaloniki, all completed under the tutelage of Professor Demetrios Tselingides. Moreover, I was blessed to serve as the rector and spiritual father of the parish of the Holy Prophet Elias in Petrokerasa, a small village in the mountains outside of Thessaloniki, Greece, from 2006 until 2017.
By the mercy of God I was also granted the blessing to be the founder and current head of Uncut Mountain Press, the founder and first editor of “Divine Ascent, A Journal of Orthodox Faith,” the host of the online podcast, Postcards from Greece found at Ancient Faith Radio, and a regular speaker to parish groups in the United States and Canada.
I was raised as the son of an Anglican priest, who, in 1992, together with much of his parish, converted to the Orthodox Church. Then, in 1996 I came to Thessaloniki, Greece, in order to visit Mt. Athos, returning again in 1998 to begin the Theological School of the University of Thessaloniki. In 2000, I was married to a Thessaloniki native and over the next 15 years God sent the great gifts of five healthy children.
- B.Th., Bachelor of Theology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Thessaloniki, Greece), summa cum laude, 2003
- M.Th., Masters of Theology (Dogmatic Theology), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 2005
- D.Th, Dogmatic Theology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 2013
- Dogmatic Theology
- Theology of the Mysteries (Sacramental Theology)
- Patristic Interpretation of Holy Scripture
- Church History
Current Projects and Research Interests
The current focus of my research is on the boundaries and nature of the Church as outlined in the epistles of the Apostle Paul and the commentary of St. John Chrysostom and further specified in the canons of St. Basil the Great and the Oecumenical Councils. In addition, I continue to do research on the relationship between patristic ecclesiology and pastoral economy in the reception of converts to the Church and the new ecclesiology and sacramental theology put forward at the Second Vatican Council, especially in the conciliar text Unitatis Redintegratio.
As the head of Uncut Mountain Press I am also involved in editing and overseeing the production of the Press’ forthcoming titles, including:
- Treatise on the Procession of the Holy Spirit, by St Gregory Palamas
- Ecumenism: Origins, Expectations and Disenchantment: The Proceedings of a Pan-Orthodox Conference
- An Ecclesiological Reader: A Collection of Essays on the Nature of the Church and the Reception of Converts
- Presuppositions and Criteria for Theologizing in an Orthodox Manner and Without Delusion, by Professor Demetrios Tselengidis
- The Life and Selected Writings of the New Martyr, St. Hilarion Troitsky
- On Common Prayer with the Heterodox, According to the Canons of the Church, by Protopresbyter Anastasios Gotsopoulos
- Witnesses of the Whole Christ: Martyrs and Confessors under the Latins
- Postcards from Greece: Homilies on our Life in Christ
- Orthodox Ecclesiology in the Age of Ecumenism
- Phyletism and Ecumenism: Two Expressions of Secularism, the Spirit of Antichrist
- Bible 332 - Old Testament
- Bible 334 - New Testament
- Ἡ ἐκκλησιολογικὴ ἀναθεώρηση τῆς Β΄ Βατικανῆς Συνόδου: Μία Ὀρθόδοξη διερεύνηση τοῦ Βαπτίσματος καὶ τῆς Ἐκκλησίας κατὰ τὸ Διάταγμα περὶ Οἰκουμενισμοῦ [Greek Edition].
- The Ecclesiological Renovation of Vatican II: An Orthodox Examination of Rome’s Ecumenical Theology Regarding Baptism and the Church (Thessaloniki, Greece: Uncut Mountain Press, 2015).
- (Co-Translator) St. Paisios of Mt. Athos by Elder Isaac (The Holy Monastery of St. Arsenios the Cappadocian, Chalkidiki, Greece, 2012/2016).
- The Missionary Origins of Modern Ecumenism: MIlestones Leading Up to 1920 (Thessaloniki, Greece: Uncut Mountain Press, 2007).
- (Translator) From I-ville to You-ville by Mersine Vigopoulou (Thessaloniki, Greece: Uncut Mountain Press, 2007).
- (Translator) The Epistles of Elder Paisios (The Holy Monastery of St. John the Theologian, Souroti, Greece, 2002).
- (Translator) Apostle to Zaire: The Life and Legacy of Blessed Father Cosmas of Grigoriou by Demetrios Aslanidis and Monk Damascene Grigoriatis (Thessaloniki, Greece: Uncut Mountain Press, 2002)
- (Translator) The Truth of our Faith: Discourses on the Tenets of Christian Orthodoxy by Elder Cleopa of Romania, Vols 1 & 2 (Thessaloniki, Greece: Uncut Mountain Press, 2001).
Recent Presentations and Lectures
- “Have Faith” and “On the Patristic and ‘Post-Patristic’ View of Education and Salvation.” Two lectures to be delivered St. Emmelia Spring 2018 West Orthodox Homeschool Conference held at St. Nicholas Ranch in Dunlap, CA, April 21, 2018.
- “The Sacraments of the Orthodox Church: What are the Sacraments and How to Prepare for Them.” A lecture delivered at the annual retreat sponsored by St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church in Hamilton, Ontario on March 24, 2018.
- “The Demonic Method of Adulteration at Work in Ecumenism.” A lecture delivered at the annual meeting of the Society of Orthodox Philosophers in America held near San Antonio, Texas from January 11-13, 2018.
- “Virtues and Vice: Nurturing Orthodox Christian Virtues in Everyday Life.” A lecture delivered at the annual retreat sponsored by St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church in Hamilton, Ontario on Dec 2, 2017.
- “The Church, the Body of Christ, The Continuation of the Incarnation: Orthodox Ecclesiology and the New Ecclesiology of Ecumenism.” A lecture delivered at St. Joseph Orthodox Church, Houston, TX, June 17, 2017.
- “In the World But Not Of It: Facing Secularism in Church and Family Life.” A lecture delivered at St. Joseph Orthodox Church, Houston, TX, June 17, 2017.
- “Christian Missionary Work in an Age of Ecumenical Relativism.” A lecture delivered to the Chinese Missions Fundraising Dinner in Hamilton, Ontario, on June 11, 2017.
- “The Council of Crete and the New Emerging Ecclesiology: An Orthodox Examination.” A lecture delivered to the Clergy Retreat of the Eastern American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, March 21, 2017.