The Master of Divinity at Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary is a graduate professional degree in theology and ministry. The goal of the graduate Theology program is to offer professional, academic training in the Russian Orthodox Christian tradition for Orthodox Christians who desire to serve the Orthodox Church as ordained clergy and lay leaders in the Church. That goal is consistent with the position of Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary as “an institution of higher learning under the jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia,” and with its mission “to serve the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia by preparing students for service to the Church” (Mission Statement, HTOS Catalog 2017-18). The establishment of a graduate Master of Divinity degree at HTOS expands the mission of HTOS by raising professional and academic standards for its students, while preparing professional, effective, and successful pastors and leaders who will serve the Church in parish ministry, other ministry settings, and academia.
The M.Div. degree requires the completion of 94 credit hours including an honors thesis, extended essay, or special project in the final semester of study. Those requirements are expected to be completed ordinarily in three years for a full-time student. The proposed curriculum consists of a balanced distribution of classroom hours in the study of Holy Scripture, courses in Orthodox theology, history, philosophy, morality / ethics, liturgical tradition, and practical disciplines such as liturgics, Church music, homiletics, pastoral counseling, etc. In addition to academic work in the classroom, students will complete four one-credit practica in practical pastoral education through “field” training in parishes, prisons and jails, hospitals, humanitarian service organizations, college campuses, etc.
- To award its graduates the degree of Master of Divinity, a graduate professional degree in theology and religious studies.
- To augment the mission of this institution by raising professional and academic standards for its students, thus aiming to prepare professional, efficient, and successful clergy and leaders, who will serve the church in ministry and in academia.
- To fulfill the mission of Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary as “an institution of higher learning under the jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia . . .” to serve the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia by preparing students for service to the Church” (Mission Statement, HTOS Catalog 2016-18)
For admission to the proposed graduate program at Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary, an applicant must have completed an accredited bachelor’s degree in theology, arts and sciences, or business (or its equivalent) with a grade-point average of 3.0
Each applicant must also have a recommendation from his Orthodox Christian parish priest/spiritual father and a blessing from his bishop. For a complete list of requirements for admission, see the “admissions” page.
Transfer of Credit
A prospective transfer student with previous graduate-level coursework at an accredited institution of learning (but no graduate degree in theology, religious studies, or divinity) may request that HTOS evaluate his courses and his performance in those courses in the hope that HTOS will grant advanced standing and full transfer credit for each course that is comparable to a core course or elective in the HTOS M.Div. degree program. HTOS will accept a maximum of 30 transfer credits toward the 94-credit M.Div. degree at HTOS.
Please insert the curriculum/course schedule from attached document
Tuition and Fees
Master of Divinity Per semester
Master of Divinity--Annual
Books and supplies (estimated)
1. Liturgics I
2. Biblical/Lit Greek I
3. Intro to the Holy Scriptures
4. Church History I
5. Western Philosophy (for Orthodox Clergy)
1. Liturgics II
2. Bib/Lit Greek II
4. Church History II
5. Dogmatic Theology
1. OT Theology/Exegesis
2. Pastoral Theology I (Priestly Vocation)
3. Church Music I
4. Liturgical Theology
5. Topics in Dogmatic Theology
[Field Ed Practicum I (1) cr.]
1. NT Theology/Exegesis
2. Comparative Theology
3. Church Music II
4. Pastoral Theology II (Homiletics)
5. Orthodox Ecclesiology
[Field Ed Practicum II (1) cr.]
1. Fundamental Moral Theology
2. Pastoral Theology III (Pastoral Counseling)
3. ROCOR Church History
4. Canon Law
5. [Elective: e.g., The Spiritual Life]
[Field Ed Practicum III (1) cr.]
1. Orthodox Social Ethics
2. Pastoral Theology IV
(Parish Admin. / Religious Education / Evangelism )
3. [Elective: e.g., History of Orthodoxy USA]
4. [Elective: e.g., Advanced Patristics]
5. Senior Thesis or Project
[Field Ed Practicum IV (1) cr.]